Buddhist Teaching of the Day

"Speak few words, but say them with quietude and sincerity and they will be long lasting." -Lao Tzu

Sunday, March 6, 2011

The subtle mind practice

Once I found that there was a functional copy of this practice on the doc sharing, I was good to go. The subtle mind practice is really a basic mindfulness meditation that asks us to focus on the breath. I have always found this type of practice much easier to do than visualization practices such as the loving kindness practice. There is something about having to visualize something that is not already there or is there but not readily visualized that trips me up and it will require a lot more practice. However, mindfulness does come easier, it asks us to focus on something that is present and easily visualized, like breathing. When doing this type of practice, you really can focus on anything you want, the idea is that you are silencing the crazy chaos going on inside your head. You are not forcing anything, this is really important to understand. We acknowledge the thoughts that are there, we do not judge them, and they eventually float away and we continue to focus. This is a really good way to wind down from a long day at work, sometimes I practice on the train on the way home. By the time I get home, I feel a lot better. The length of this practice was just about right too, not too long and not too short, but I had a bit of trouble when the person broke in a couple of times to add instructions. This really kind of bothered me, even though the instruction was helpful to those who had never done this kind of thing before. I also think that this type of practice is easier if there is no background music, it distracts from my focus. What did you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. I am like you in that I do not care for the talking interuption of any relaxation process. I would prefer they give the directions and processes at the onset and then trust that the listener will do the work themself. It is distracting. Music in the background is sometimes okay and sometimes not, it depends on how soft and the type. I find if I don't care for the music on one CD I can go online to You Tube usually, and find a type that I do like.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelley!

    I am so glad I read your post! For me the loving kindness practice was easier and because you mentioned the visualization aspect I am thinking that my be part of why it was for me! It would have taken me a while to put that together so thank you for that. :) I too find the directions in the middle of the practice a bit startling but due to the fact that this style of practice is new for me I feel I kind of need the direction. As you mentioned, this practice does help me too to wined down. I like the times of day I practice for that purpose. Thank you for your thoughtfully reflection; it sure has helped me! :)

    Janena

    ReplyDelete