Buddhist Teaching of the Day

"Speak few words, but say them with quietude and sincerity and they will be long lasting." -Lao Tzu

Sunday, March 6, 2011

The connection of spiritual wellness to psychological and physical wellness

Considering what we have learned in this class, one cannot reach integral health without including all aspects of the person, and that includes psychospiritual as well as physical health. I always look at it as if it is a chain that, when broken, causes the person to suffer. Whether they suffer physically, mentally or spiritually may change over time, but they are all connected in that, if one suffers mentally or spiritually for long enough, the physical health will follow eventually. I tend to use my clinical depression as an example here, because it has been a problem for many years. Although medication has it under good control, I do tend to ignore the fact that there are still underlying issues that medication cannot help. So while I am able to function well in society, I am not truly well because my spiritual health suffers and I have not developed the higher levels of the mind. I have noticed over the last couple of years that although I work out, I do not really feel well physically, and this may be due to ongoing mental issues.We have learned in the reading that developing the subtle layers of the mind to work with the physical body will lead to overall holistic health. What am I waiting for? I think there is some kind of stubborn fear inside my head that believes that this will not work for me, that I have tried and failed before so why do it now? This is what the subtle mind training helps with, to get rid of the bad attitude and set the tone for practice. I am a yoga practitioner, and have learned to combine physical practice with mental focus in order to train the whole body as one, and this makes me feel so good and strong when I finish. I have my own empirical research to support the fact that mental training and physical training go hand in hand.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you say about the broken chain, its like a kink, it cuts something off or keeps energy from flowing. Example: Like a water hose with a hole in it and you cover it with tape to stop the water coming out of the hole, but the pressure is never the same again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reference about depression. We must always understand the underlying issue to fix our overall health. Like you said if one thing is broken the whole chain is broken. Much like our physical body has a kinetic chain and when we have an injury we must be careful not to overwork other parts of the body to "baby" the injury.

    ReplyDelete