A-Physical goals: moderate to long term (by the end of 2012) I would like to lose about 20 pounds, and I am currently on the way to this with diet alterations and continuation of physical exercise in the form of cardio, weight training and yoga classes once per week at least. By the end of 2011, I would like to have a better handle on my sleep, which will be possible as I will be completing my degree in September and will have much less stress.
B-Spiritual goals: my goal here is only to maintain my current practice of do unto others and to see others for who they are and not what I would like them to be. I would like to increase my practice of charitable and volunteer work beyond my current level, and again this will be possible by year's end due to my completion of my degree, which will free up more time for work.
C-Psychological goals: short term I need to continue to work on my inner voice, which constantly tells me that I am not a worthy person. Daily practice of affirmations and stopping myself when I hear a negative voice in my head will help my progression with this. This is also a long term goal, to alter the inner voice in order not to have negative thoughts in the first place. I will also increase my practice of yoga and meditation along with researching other forms of psychological practice like visualization in order to control my anxiety, and I will begin this immediately.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThose are really practical and attainable goals Shelly. I think the need to lose weight would apply to me as well. I have noticed that it is harder to get the weight off as you get older.
ReplyDeleteYour plan for change physically sounds right on target. I think that would work for anyone. I would also make sure to look at the psychological factors behind my eating and see that I understand the patterns and thinking that got me where I am today and use this information to further develop my strategy. Where do you rate yourself today and how has it been changing?
ReplyDeleteSpiritually it sounds like you are where you want to be. For me I think there is always room for expanding my consciousness, so this would not be sufficient. Your goal and plan sounds like something is missing: Where is the spectacular, the perfection? I want something for myself and others that points to the preciousness of life and the deep meaning in it. It is difficult to understand where you are along this continuum.
It doesn’t sound as if you like where you are psychologically, and you have the start of a good strategy with working on your inner voice. How do you plan on stopping the negative voice when you hear it? I might sit down and have a heart to heart talk with my inner voice. Is it telling me I am bad or that it is worried and doesn’t know any other way to express anxiety and fear? I am reminded of Wilbur’s statement that no one is smart enough to be right 100% of the time, the converse strikes me here. No one (voice) is dumb enough to be wrong 100% of the time: Is there anything for me to gain from this voice? I would take a “face my demon stance” and see what it really has on its mind. If it was just a nasty nagging B&*ch voice I would do whatever I had to stop it. The old rubber band snap to the wrist can be a reminder of who is in charge here.
I think I might use that "No one is dumb enough to be wrong 100% of the time." I like that. I think I will tell my inner voice it is not right 100% of the time, so it will stop telling me negative things. Right now, I have a lot of difficulty stopping negative thoughts. I can use any and all suggestions posted here, and thanks in advance.
ReplyDelete