Buddhist Teaching of the Day

"Speak few words, but say them with quietude and sincerity and they will be long lasting." -Lao Tzu

Friday, February 18, 2011

Personal Reflections

Based on personal reflection here are my ideas:  A-physical wellbeing-physically I am in very good health, and I contribute this to the fact that my family genetics are excellent and I try to practice healthy exercise and diet for the most part. I do not smoke and I rarely drink. However, I do not feel as healthy as I think I should. I have a constant feeling of fatigue and body aches, and I do not feel as strong as I think I should be. I do not sleep real well because of anxiety issues so this may contribute. I also have some problems with pinched nerves high in my back which may be causing problems. These I can live with as long as I continue to exercise and maintain my weight training. Based on what we have learned so far, I may be able to contribute my vague issues with my psychological status.    B-Spiritual wellbeing-I am not a really "spiritual" person by nature, I see things very scientifically and this has been the case most of my life. I feel that there is some kind of energy or power out there that is not quantifiable, kind of like karma or fate, that might control some things, but I tend to feel that we control our own destinies for the most part. In essence, I am the root of my own path in life, and how I choose to live it will control what may happen to me after I die. I follow the basics of do unto others, and I am very satisfied with how I live my spiritual life as it is.     C-Psychological wellbeing-this is where I fall short in life. I have not had a great upbringing and although I can blame my childhood for much of my psychological difficulty, I also feel that there may be a genetic component to my mental issues. I was diagnosed with clinical depression and general anxiety disorder about 20 years ago, and I have struggled to get on top of it ever since. I have tried many prescription medications and finally hit on one that works well, although we all know that medication is not perfect and cannot solve all of our problems, so the work continues today. My psychological issues have improved greatly in the last 10 years, however I still consider myself a work in progress. I no longer go to talk sessions, as I think that at this point it is up to me internally to work out my own issues, and I am open to using integral techniques like meditation and mindfulness training to help this along. So I am not where I want to be yet, but I am getting there and I try to maintain a positive, forward thinking attitude to help move along.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelly,
    I too have had a difficult childhood but I personally believe medications don't help the root of the problem, they may be clever enough to manipulate the mind into thinking it is happy but until we face our pain and deal with it head on, we will not truly heal. I spoke to a psychologist recently and after saying, yea sometimes I depressed and don't know why, he wanted to prescribe me medication. I was so turned off because I know that is the last thing I need, I know that this seemingly unknown depression is my past that I need to deal with so I can be in the present moment. I found a new therapist after that who was like, yea that's all they know how to do is prescribe stuff. I meet with her for the first time but I know she will be so much better for me from her website alone. She discusses things that resonate deeply with me. As she put it, we must take all that garbage and turn it into compost. I bet that you are a very strong person having gone through whatever you did, I believe that difficulties breads character and depths and we must be grateful to all that for making us who we are today. I recommend to you a book called "Biology of Belief" By Bruce Lipton since you have a scientific approach to life, so many scientist are saying that the deeper you go into science, the more you realize that there is a great conscious intelligent force that permeates everything and I believe we are fragments of that force experiencing itself through all its different manifestations but all those pieces forgot they were one, us, trees, water, etc. We are all one of the same. Science is showing that plants and water are alive, aware and have memory. That changes everything.Check out the links below.
    TTYS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvvTf-Sx2xs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSk51Lp-vHU

    ReplyDelete