Is anyone having a problem wrapping their brain around this concept? I am having a little trouble accepting this information from Stanislav Grof, who did LSD research back in the day. Correct me if I am wrong, but accepting information from someone who did research while under the influence of psychedelic drugs makes me a bit of a skeptic. I understand the concept of trying to get in touch with feelings and ideas while in an alternate state of mind, but much research has been done on LSD and it actually alters your brain chemistry to make you see things that are not there. Treating this altered state as a connection to actual ego states and suppressed memories is a bit out there. Even Grof admits that transpersonal experiences "shatter the most fundamental metaphysical assumptions of the Newtonian-Cartesian paradigm and of the materialistic worldview" (Schlitz, Amorok and Micozzi, 2005). Please comment on this and let me know what your feelings are.
Schlitz, M., Amorok, T, and Micozzi, M. (2005). Consciousness and Healing: Integral Approaches to Mind-Body Medicine. St. Louis: Elsevier/Churchill/Livingstone.
I agree with you on the LSD research. A million years ago, in the 70's, I did LSD. The things I saw were amazing to me. I would certainly not think they were real.
ReplyDeleteLaura