When I look at my assessment of my life and my plans for change I think it just seems impossible to ever reach the point I want to get to. I have been trying to overcome my depression and anxiety for many years, and it seems that this will never change. Although we have learned that anyone can use what we have learned in this class to improve their life, I am very skeptical that I can do this for myself. This is difficult to explain, and until I can move this barrier, I will not be able to expand my horizons. Getting started is the first thing. I am doing some things for myself now that I wasn't before, like improving my diet and making sure I get to yoga class. The easiest thing for me to do would be to sit down one day and just start. The goals seem impossible to reach, and a real change in attitude is needed. The exercises in Dacher's book on preparing for change are probably even too advanced for me, I just need to decide I am going to change some things and that it will work.
I scored myself pretty high on biological health, but lower in all other aspects, especially psychospiritual. It has become easier over the years to make these issues unimportant in my life, like I can control them and keep them under wraps. The big change needed is to understand that these issues are just as important to my own well being as my physical health. By using my yoga practice, involving myself in volunteer activities and putting myself in situations that force me to interact with others will help me to get to the place I want to be. I must stick with my plan and be sure to review every month.
I feel like I am a little closer to my goals, but I have not yet implemented home meditation practice as I have planned. It seems much easier to make excuses and not move forward, so the most important way I can begin to get to my goals is to decide that it is time to start and not stop.
The most important thing I have learned in this class is that there is another way. In order to really help people we have to open our minds to all of the options that exist, and pay attention to what the patient is trying to tell us. This is something that many practitioners do not do today, and I think this is one of the reasons why we cannot help them as well as we could. I have also learned that there is a lot more research on healing methods going on out there than I ever knew before. We spend so much time focusing on what we were taught in school, we forget that each person is an individual and responds individually to our treatments. What has been difficult for me is to admit that I cannot truly help those if I do not help myself first. Although I have saved the lives of many over the last 30 years, it seems I have not truly healed them, but only prolonged their suffering. I prolong my own suffering by resisting my own plan for change. Now I have the tools I need to help myself and others, the future looks much brighter.
Shelly, you aren't depressed you are so in touch with what is going on that it feels depressing. You are actually an empath and you feel very deeply, try and make space for yourself whenever you can. Thank you for your kind response as well as your wishes for my future. I wish the same for you. Trust what you feel, it is by no means a lie or an accident, you just feel more, see more than others, and the darkness can feel depressing and oppressive.
ReplyDeleteBlessings & Namaste
I like how you say that, I just feel very deeply. I have always been this way, and sometimes it is a gift, sometimes it just makes me sad. I have often said that I wish I could just go through life without thinking about it, but I guess that is not really the best way either. My main goal is to find that Middle Road that the Buddha speaks of, the practice of the eight ways of being. I am impatient and want to change right now, but I have to forgive myself and go easier. Thanks for your kindness and I hope you find all the happiness you seek.
ReplyDeleteHi Shelley,
ReplyDeleteShelley I understand very well about depression because when my fiancĂ©e got kill my world went upside down. I couldn’t think work or eat I just want to sleep. I had counseling because I blame myself for his death we had got in a serious argument the night before, and I left early the next morning and I told him I am leaving he respond are you talking to me. So, waiting for him to come home that night he didn’t the next day he was murder, and families did not tells me until three days later. So, I didn’t get a change to say I am sorry, and I was in so much pain at time. Right now, I try to keep busy by going to social events meeting new people to keep my mind occupy. Shelley I try to live through this which is so hard, with pray and I am talking to God had help me a great deal, and I tells anybody life is short don’t wait a long time to say I am sorry because that person may not be around to hear you say I am sorry. Shelley I say the three D’s every day to motivate me to do my exercise which includes Disciple, Determination, and Dedication. Shelly you just needs to be encouraged and motivate and be around positive people.
Best of luck to you Shelley!
ReplyDeleteJanena
It has been a pleasure to learn and grow with you this quarter. I hope you will keep blogging. I would love to hear more about your intentions for bringing an integral approach to your profession.
ReplyDelete