Buddhist Teaching of the Day

"Speak few words, but say them with quietude and sincerity and they will be long lasting." -Lao Tzu

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Personal Practice

I have reviewed the practices we have encountered in this class, and I have to say that they have indeed been challenging. But, never let it be said I don't want to be challenged or changed in any way. Because of my depression and anxiety issues, it is really easy for me to give up and not pursue challenge and to accept myself the way I am. I will not be doing this. I have spent the last 20 years seeking active change and making improvements, and although I have seen improvements, there is always room for more. With that said, I think that some of the practices we have encountered in this class can be of significant help to me, and could be the catalyst I am looking for with consistent practice. The easiest one for me, and currently the most helpful I have experienced to date, would be the mindfulness (subtle mind) meditation. This is something I have been practicing on and off over the last few years and although it has not gotten that much easier for me, it is do-able because I really do not have to invent anything in my mind, I only have to observe thoughts and emotions and pull my mind back to a chosen focus when needed. This is something I can continue to do before, during and after work (my most stress) but only need to practice more regularly. I think it can have a significant impact on helping me think and speak with more intention. The second one is very difficult to choose, because they were all so difficult for me. I guess I would have to choose the loving kindness visualization we began with on the CD, for two reasons. First, it was the easiest for me to do out of all the visualization exercises. And second, but most importantly, I need to feel more loving kindness toward not only myself but others as well. I find myself being mad at and hating people in general (and myself) all the time because of the stupid things we do and say, and the way we abuse each other and the earth. It is a very overwhelming hatred, and I know that in order for me to be the kind of person I want to be, this must be changed. It will help me form that basis that I need in order to develop my inner mind and truly feel spiritually connected to life and the universe. Transforming myself into an example for the people I contact daily is a wonderful goal and may help them to change their ways as well. Dacher tells us that the only way we can advance to the point of true integral health is to plant the initial seed of universal loving kindness in our hearts and minds. This is the most important first step in my own transformation.
-"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." Gandhi

4 comments:

  1. Hi Charles,

    I enjoy guided meditation as well. It assists you in imaging or visualizing what you need to see to achieve your goals. I enjoyed your post, and I noticed you asked Darlene if she lies down when she meditates. I actually do one where you can sit or lie. I don't think it matters as long as you get the results you need. You know you can always do a walking meditation if you can't be still. Best of luck with your practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley, I also have strong battle with depression and part of it is a genetic predisposition. My mother suffered with depression all of her life and had many shock treatments, the treatment of choice back then, and was hospitalized many times. Unless you have to go through such a predisposed illness like this, it really defies description. I admire you.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelley,

    Shelley I like all the meditation practices that was in the text. Shelley the only way I can do meditation is with music. Meditation practices will have soothing music; it will help my mind to chill and improves the concentration on every viewpoint. Shelley I suggest some classical music, orchestra music, or ocean waves music it had help me with my depression and my test anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Shelley!
    Your honestly is refreshing. You mention some harsh realities in your world and the fact that you see them, own them and are doing all you can to move through them is admirable. If only we could take a long look at ourselves and really tap into our 'needs improvement' areas, embrace them and work as you to really change them. I too chose the Loving-Kindness practice. I feel it fills me with joy, love and serenity. Have a wonderful day!
    Janena

    ReplyDelete