Buddhist Teaching of the Day
"Speak few words, but say them with quietude and sincerity and they will be long lasting." -Lao Tzu
Friday, February 18, 2011
Reflections on relaxation exercise
My first thought is, why would a relaxation exercise be called "The Crime of the Century?" I still have not figured that out. This exercise was really relaxing, even though I am notoriously bad at visualization exercises. It basically had you focus on the colors of the rainbow emitting from different chakra points of the body and repeating affirmations to yourself. It is really difficult for me to relax to the point where my surroundings do not affect me during a meditation or an exercise such as this, but it was not bothersome to me. My body did not feel totally relaxed at the end, but I do have some very tenuous tight muscles in my upper back and neck which cause me trouble. I think that if I did relaxation programs more often I might be able to get better at them. In the past I always had an attitude that they would not work before I tried them, so they didn't. This one was nice, not too long and the person's voice was not irritating.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Shelly, the thing with meditation is that it comes with time. Just relax and focus on the breath and eventually if you don't give up you will be fine.
ReplyDeleteShelley,
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you that the name was very misleading, but the voice was quite agreeable. It sounds like you had a good experience with this exercise. I am going to try it again. I think I picked a bad time to attempt it as I could not concentrate on or agree with the affirmations, so I found it difficult for me. I also kept watching the colors on my screen instead of trying to relax. I am too easily distracted!
Sally
Shelley,
ReplyDeleteI had the same experience wondering what in the world was such a crime? I think it has to be an error and the Color Meditation was mistakenly put in. I have found that meditation
has become truly valuable. I found it helpful to use guided meditation. Be gentle with yourself if you find your mind wandering and just pull it back. The other thing is to find the way that resonates with you. You'll know it when you find it. I have no doubt that if it becomes something that you really desire, the best way in (to yourself) will present itself. Then you'll probabley end up an expert and share it in your work!
Hi,
ReplyDeleteHave you tried a reikie practioner?
I used to have problems with tense areas that formed right between my shoulder blades on the days that I worked the medication cart. The computer height seemed to aggravate these two areas and they would knot up into spasms.
My room mate is a level 2 practioner and she can place her thumb in the area and apply firm but gentle pressure and it immediately helps. It really is wonderful. She applies a firm but gentle pressure with a circular motion in the center of the spastic area and it goes away within minutes.
Reikie is a wonderful healing art. I would highly recommen it to everyone.
Lol, I thought the same thing something that is healing, and wonderful called an exercise. Such is life still lol. Just wanted to respond and say I enjoyed your post. One suggestion, you can lie down if you find sitting uncomfortable, do what makes the "exercise" most comfortable and enjoyable. There is a lot of emphasis put on the upright posture, but if that doesn't work for you do what does, the most significant aspect of the work we're doing is to get the relief we need and grow beyond any obstacles or challenges we may have. Bottom line that is what its about, not the posture. Sounding a bit old school, don't you think? lol
ReplyDelete